Header

Fighting acne

7/16/13

Hello everyone!! Today's topic will be on acne. Something almost every teenager would have to go through. Except of course, the lucky ones who are blessed with total flawless skin. Too bad I'm not one of them :(

To those who think that I have perfect flawless skin... You're really wrong. I'm not born with flawless skin and definitely not blessed with it.. There indeed are times where my skin can be really nice and smooth with no blemishes etc for a few days straight but clogged pores/ whiteheads will start to form days after.. It hardly ever stays perfect for long. Even up till now. These pimples just wouldn't LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

I'll share with you the tough journey of skin problems I had to go through for the past few years.

I had perfect skin until I started Secondary School. In 2010, I was attacked with the worst acne breakout EVER due to a certain product that was too harsh for my skin. My forehead, my cheeks, my chin; literally almost a half of my face were filled with painful, red and horrendous acne. I do have pictures but it's SO horrid I feel repulsed looking at it myself. My self esteem was at its LOWEST.. To those who're facing this problem, I really do feel you.

You feel like you have no mood to head out because you don't want anyone to see you and you have no interest in doing anything. I understand how acne can take on such an emotional toll to those who're suffering from it. It can really bring about a huge impact to your emotional mind. Sometimes even after trying out so many different ways to make your skin better, it just DOESN'T WORK. Right?

But don't give up just yet!!! I was like this back then too. But I guess my skin was too important to me to ever think of giving up. I even tried going to facials etc (that's a misconception some of you might have, that facials would solve acne. But no it isn't true! Because facials can sometimes make the skin even more aggravated) and it didnt work for me! It made my skin look nice for a few days only to see more pimples popping up again.. It didn't really solve the root problem in the end.

And so I finally resorted to consulting a doctor.

I first consulted a Dermatologist at Gleneagles. (I cant actually publicise his name like that for privacy purposes, and alsoI wouldn't recommend it cus it was really costly. Costed me $400 only during the FIRST consultation.) With my utmost anxiety and desperation to cure my terrible acne, I told the doctor to prescribe me something strong that would take effect ASAP. (Which of course IS NOT encouraged to those who are suffering from only mild acne.) This is simply to prevent your body from being immune to a strong medicine.

Anyhow, I was prescribed with Isotretinoin. One of the few medications that are to be taken for really bad acne cases. (Another kind of medication that I know of would be Roaccutane, which was something I have never taken but just in case you'd want an alternative). The main aim of Isotretinoin is to prevent excessive oil secretion on your skin, and thus preventing acne from further aggravation or inflammation and also to prevent new ones from popping up. Isotretinoin worked well for me in terms of drying my skin up but initially my skin was peeling and my eyes were really dry. I started to drink a lot of water everyday + spam eyedrops and the dryness started to get better and soon it wasn't much of an issue anymore! Along with Isotretinoin I was also given antibiotics to get rid of the inflamed zits at that time. It was called doxycyline! Totally effective.

Besides oral medication, of course I was also prescribed with pimple cream. Which to me wasn't really effective. So I allowed the oral medication to fully take effect and cure me without any form of product application. And after a whole year, IT FINALLY DID. I felt sooooo happy having to see my face clear and everyone started complimenting on how it was so much better!

Afterwhich I didn't entirely stop oral medication of course.. I continued to consume another medication Nemigen to prevent further acne eruptions. Soon my skin was under control with just regular cleansing! After that period where my acne was already starting to heal, I kept everything under control with "AZ cleanser" for acne prone skin. After that I totally stopped using that cleanser and switched to cetaphil.

Now I only have pimples here and there once in awhile during the time of the month. I do have actual painful acne sometimes but it hardly ever gets crazy anymore. For my normal pimples I would just use Jorubi's Aloe Vera (the best I love it) and SPAM. Sometimes I actually apply a few layers over it. Hahaha it's a slow healing process but IT WORKS. And it doesn't scar. Trust me!

I'm not any professional skin doctor or some beauty guru but I figured I had to share this with y'all because I know how desperate it can get and I just want to help those who suffered like I did. Good luck and don't give up!